[TowerTalk] Rohn 25G

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rohn 25G
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 02:56:28 EDT
In a message dated 25/09/99 20:18:41 EST,  frosty@kc1.net writes:

> I have a couple of questions I hope someone can answer, I have some Rohn
>  25G to put up, it is used, and I see that there are two different size
>  bolts used to assemble it.  One looks like 1/4 inch and one looks like
>  5/16".  Can anyone tell me what the correct sizes are?? and how long
>  they should be??  Should I use a lock washer ?

      The info is in the Rohn catalog but unfortunately I'm out of town and
don't have one. Nonetheless if you need Rohn tower bolts, contact Stan, W7NI,
at w7ni@teleport.com. He has the factory sets for ridiculously low prices.

     I would also suggest that you get a copy of the Rohn catalog. It
contains ALL the specs you need that you need to be observing. They are
available from http://www.championradio.com.

>  It has been suggested that I use 3/16" EHS cable to guy this tower
>  with.  I want to break the guys up with insulators and have saved some
>  previous comments about lengths to use to break up the guys.  My
>  question is how do I fasten the cable to each insulator?  with crosby
>  cable clamps?  how many each side of the insulator?

      Suggested isn't strong enough. 3/16 EHS IS the factory spec.

      Hardly anyone uses cable clamps any more since the introduction of
Preformed guy grips but feel free to use them if you want - they're just more
work. You need 3 clamps per termination and be sure to install the saddle on
the 'live' side of the cable. Be sure to use strain insulators designed for
guy wire use.

Cheers & GL,   Steve    K7LXC
Champion Radio Products
Tower Tech