[TowerTalk] guying question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] guying question
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 20:30:01 EDT
In a message dated 26/09/99 07:03:25 EST,  k8bk@speedconnect.com writes:

> I am getting set to put a new antenna on my Rohn tower.  I was thinking
>  about making some changes to the guy
>  wires before I install the antenna.  I would like to know what, if any,
>  would make much difference.  Let me first say
>  I noticed very little if any SWR change when rotating my TH6DXX.  I usually
>  run slopers off the tower also with limited success.

>  I have a 75' rohn tower with two sets of guy wires  (73' and 37').  Guys
>  come off the tower for about 8' to the insulator, then about 25' to the
>  second insulator.
>
>  1.  I want to drop the top guy wires down to about the middle of the top
>  section to allow more room to work on rotor and to get them away from the
>  antenna a little more.

      Tower type? Antenna load? Windspeed zone?

       Doesn't sound like you'll be doing anything too aggressive so sounds
reasonable.

>  2.  Should the guys be broken up more then I have them at this time
>  (8'/25')?

        I wouldn't.

>  3.  I was thinking of running about 20-30 feet of Phillystran off the top
>  and then the regular guy wire from there down.  Would that be usefull or
>  only if I use Phillystran all the way?

        I think that Phillystran won't be a big improvement over what you've
got now. If you don't see much interaction, the improvement may be
incremental and not worth the cost and effort.

Cheers,   Steve   K7LXC
Tower Tech