[TowerTalk] GAP Titan

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] GAP Titan
From: ed_juge@zianet.com (Ed Juge)
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 1999 08:14:02 -0500
Dr. Dave...

It's obvious from the responses that most GAP owners have had little
trouble.  Had my friend's problem been universal, GAP would have been out
of business long ago.  I'm glad he was the exception rather than the
rule.  And I'm glad to hear you had good customer service.

In defense of vertical antennas...

The saying, "Verticals radiate poorly in all directions," when compared to
a beam on 20 meters and above, is probably understandable.  A Butternut, I
had could work anything it could hear on 10-15-20.  When I put up a beam, I
began hearing a LOT I simply hadn't known was there.

Especially on 80 and 40M, where I spend almost all my time, a dipole is
better within a few hundred miles by as much as 10-20db on the S-meter.  At
600 or so miles, my vertical begins to have the edge. For DX on 80M, my
Hy-Tower hears things the dipole doesn't know are there.  Polarization can
also make a difference...  As a signal fades on the dipole, it sometimes
stays readable on the vertical and vice-versa.  My FT-1000D accepts a
second receiving antenna and can take advantage of this phenomenon to
maintain good reception.

I have even seen cases where some kind of local noise was S7 or 8 on the
dipole and didn't exist on the vertical!!  (Exactly the opposite of how
it's supposed to work.)

Even with a beam at 63 feet and 80/40M Inverted V at 55 feet (when I was in
TX) I found having a really good vertical (with a good radial system under
it) was frequently an advantage.

Having said all that, in favor of a good vertical, yes, I would like to
have a beam again and may put one up in the future. A vertical is normally
no a substitute for a beam.

Ed, W5EJ