[TowerTalk] Crank-Up tower owners, please read

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Crank-Up tower owners, please read
From: wehlgc@bellatlantic.net (Ed Himwich/Letitia Carlson)
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 20:09:36 -0400
-----Original Message-----
From: K7LXC@aol.com <K7LXC@aol.com>
To: kinderh@cadvision.com <kinderh@cadvision.com>; towertalk@contesting.com
<towertalk@contesting.com>; n0ss@earthlink.net <n0ss@earthlink.net>
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Tuesday, October 12, 1999 7:47 PM
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Crank-Up tower owners, please read

>In a message dated 99-10-12 19:31:11 EDT, kinderh@cadvision.com writes:
>
>> Interesting solution to your problem Tom.  I looked into doing the same
>>  thing, however, before i put anything on my US Tower 89' crank-up i
>e-mailed
>>  US tower...they said DO NOT lubricate the cables...as Steve himself
>>  says...do what the manufacturer says. Seems to be different views on the
>>  benefits of cable lube...i'm sure it won't hurt, but should i also
consider
>>  this???
>
>       Yes. I would believe the manufacturer of the cable, not a crank-up
>manufacturer. Same with the electric motor, gearbox, pulleys, etc. In this
>case, the manufacturer just assembles the components without knowing them
>the depth that the original manufacturer does.
>
>      Look at it like this: Why would the tower manufacturer tell you NOT
>do something that the cable manufacturer tells you to do? I can't imagine
>what such a compelling reason would be to contradict factory advice.

I agree, why would they contradict factory advice of one of their suppliers?
Presumably the tower manufacturer feels responsible for the overall
engineering of the system, mindful of the environment it will be used in. It
may be optimistic to assume that USTower adopts such a benevolent attitude.
I don't whether they do or not. The people I have talked to there seem
reasonable enough and are willing to answer questions. They seem to have a
lot of experience with their towers.

I am in process of putting up a ma-770 tower. I also asked USTower about
lubricating the cables and they said don't. They had several reasons for
this advice. The ones I remember are: (1) most lubricants tended to collect
debris, twigs, dirt, etc which interfere with the cable path, (2) they had
heard anecdotal reports from users that penetrating lubricants, that would
not collect debris, seemed to hasten rusting, but they did not have evidence
on this themselves either way, and (3) in their experience they had never
had any trouble not lubricating the cables over several years of use. I
don't remember them mentioning what the cable manufacturer recommended.

I'm just the messenger.

Cheers, Ed N3HXQ