[TowerTalk] Re: BEAM- How to get it up??

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: BEAM- How to get it up??
From: tomwagner@mindspring.com (Tom Wagner)
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 20:40:32 -0400
I put up an X9 in May using a crane.  Please note that
 that this changes how you should handle
the "boom shelf" installation.  For those who are not familiar
with the new Cushcraft boom-to-mast clamp, they have
created a U-shaped channel in their clamp.  This channel
is mounted on a plate, which is u-bolted to the mast.  With
the channel in place, one can lay the boom into the channel
and easily mount the rest of the boom-to-mast hardware.

When using a crane, one should handle things differently.
The antenna will be attached to the crane using two slings.
This makes it easy for the crane operator to keep the
antenna level.  It has another effect that you should note.
The antenna will not be easily swung in the horizontal
plane, since the ball or boom of the crane will likely be to
the side of your mast in order to get the boom to touch the
mast.

What does this mean for you?  Simple.  Don't tighten the
boom-to-mast clamp to the mast until you have the antenna
at the point you want it.  Reverse the normal procedure --
don't set the boom into the clamp, set the clamp under the
boom.  You can then tighten the clamp (the crane won't get
tired), and mount the top of the clamp.  Once the top is on
(loosely), you can take off the slings and slide the boom
so that the bolts can be inserted through the boom.

I hope this is understandable.  When I put up mine,
tightened the boom-to-mast clamp three times before I
got it right.  I hope you won't have to.

Tom - N1MM