[TowerTalk] MFJ 259 and the like - Accuracy?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] MFJ 259 and the like - Accuracy?
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 11:14:45 EDT

> I've been corresponding with a certain antenna vendor's technical support
>  service and they took a rather interesting position: They do not accept
>  measurements from devices like the MFJ 259. Their position is that such
>  devices do not possess the accuracy of properly calibrated test equipment
>  (typically costing thousands of dollars).

      What a CROCK! You need thousands of dollars worth of equipment so you
can meet the manufacturer's published GAIN specs too? HA!

     I can understand that sometimes nearby broadcast stations can be causing
erroneous readings but it certainly is close enough for amateur antenna work.
And yes, answering amateur antenna problem phone calls can be frustrating for
all parties when MANY problems are caused by the amateur himself and have
nothing to do with the antenna.

     Who is the manufacturer?

> In their experience, they find
>  measurements taken with a transmitter at full barefoot power and a
>  quality SWR bridge to be more reliable.

      I agree. It eliminates the broadcast rf overload problem plus when you
get right down to it, the only thing that matters is what it looks like to
the radio. But use of our ham antenna analyzers works acceptably in 90% of
applications.

Cheers,    Steve    K7LXC
Champion Radio Products
Tower Tech