[TowerTalk] Radio location in relation to antenna

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Radio location in relation to antenna
From: n7cl@mmsi.com (Eric Gustafson)
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 14:04:01 -0700

Hi Don,

A lot of whether this is going to be problematic or not depends
on the exact configuration details of your house construction,
details about the antennas and their orientation(s), and how you
intend to implement both the power wiring and feedline routing
for the new shack location.  Obviously none of us has the
slightest clue as to any of this.

However, I would like to suggest (if you haven't already) that
you route your feedlines and any control lines from the antennas
to the house service entry point.  At that location establish
your RF entry panel and tie it into the service entry ground
system.  Ground all feedline and control line shields to this
panel.  If you use any lightning protection devices, mount them
to this panel.  Then route the feedlines to your new shack
location from there.  If possible, follow the same routing that
the power wiring takes to get there from the service entry
point.  If not, follow a path that results in about the same
length of conductor as the power wiring requires to get there.

Once the grounded RF entry panel is established, the exact
location of the shack inside the house becomes far less critical.

This will not affect the RF exposure due to direct radiation from
the antennas.  So do those calculations to see if you'll be
glowing.  Chances are that if you aren't already glowing, you
won't be after the move either.

73, Eric  N7CL