[TowerTalk] R-7000 Problem

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] R-7000 Problem
From: ValErwin@aol.com (ValErwin@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 10:19:41 EDT
Bob:

Don't worry bout' the dimple.  Despite this, I was able to open the traps for
inspection.  I slight rap on the end of the trap once you remove the screws
will free it up and it will come right out.  I used a plastic mallet.  Be
aware that each trap  is in effect two traps as they share a common outer
capacitor (Al tube).. When you take them out for inspection, DO NOT MIX them
up!

Once you pull the two traps out of the Al tube, you will realize that the
only thing that keeps the traps from collapsing against one another like a
trombone are the very screws that provide an electrical connection for the
inductor(s) to the outer Al tube. The dimple itself provides very little
strength and is in fact probably a CC assembly aide.

If you look at the bottom 10/12 meter trap and realize that the entire weight
of the traps/Al above it are resting on the bottom two screws of the 10/12
meter trap,  it all makes sense why these screws are under so much stress
that they might work their way loose or even out!  And, once these screws on
this trap or any trap are gone, the "trombones" collapse!  Trust this all
makes sense --

Good luck

Val
W5PUT