[TowerTalk] Re: Welcome to towertalk

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Welcome to towertalk
From: millersg@dmapub.dma.org (Steve Miller)
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 11:03:28 -0400 (EDT)
It seems that either method would work.

How much additional gain can you achieve compared to the max. F/B tuning?

I'm not too familiar with tweaking Quads, but adding 5 sets of relays or
5 remote variable capacitors seems like a lot of additional complexity for
only an extra dB or so of gain. Reliability would also suffer. I would be
inclined touse a single tuning that compromises between gain and pattern
and not hassle with the additional components and control lines.

Computer models are not accurate enough to realize 90 dB null designs.
Also, models of the antenna environment are usually a very simple (poor)
approximation that produces a larger error. I always look at the peak
sidelobe levels when evaluating an antenna patterns. This is more useful
when operating and the models predict sidelobes more accurately than nulls.

Steve

--
Steve Miller   N8SM   millersg@dma.org   http://www.dma.org/~millersg