[TowerTalk] Non-permanent towers; what to do?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Non-permanent towers; what to do?
From: Dick Green" <dick.green@valley.net (Dick Green)
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 01:11:55 -0400
Kelly,

If you really want something temporary, you should consider a crank-up
military surplus portable tower like the AB-577/GRC. They are available from
Ontario Surplus in Ontario, NY. Check out the web site at

http://home.att.net/~surplusben/prod01.htm

I have a 50' AB-577/GRC with a Force 12 C3E on top, and it's just great.
It's all-aluminum, very well-designed, very well-built and surprisingly
rugged. The base sits on the surface of the ground, no concrete or gravel
required. It uses three 3' screw-in guy anchors in a 30' radius circle.
Three sets of stainless guys are provided. We haven't had a real heavy blow
here since I put it up, but I've heard from two other owners with TH7's that
stayed up on AB-577/GRCs in 80 MPH winds. So far, mine looks rock solid in a
40 MPH wind, and I would be comfortable leaving it up in much higher winds
(it can be retracted in about a half hour if necessary.) The key is the guy
anchors -- if they're in solid, I think the tower will stay up.

You get everything you need to install the tower, including a very detailed
illustrated manual. If the wind isn't blowing, one person can do the entire
installation (I did), although it's easier to mount the antenna with two
people. An extension kit is available that will take the tower up to 75'.
That requires a man for each guy and one to crank it up.

Total cost with shipping is about $500-$600 USD, although that could be
higher for Canada.

73, Dick WC1M