[TowerTalk] Routing wire from tower to ground for lightning protection

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Routing wire from tower to ground for lightning protection
From: WBH3@daimlerchrysler.com (WBH3@daimlerchrysler.com)
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 15:37:25 -0400

I have a 15 foot Create tower on top of my house which  holds up a KLM KT-34XA
which is about 35 feet high.  I have finally decided to ground the tower for
lightning protection.  I have a roll of solid (bare) copper wire about 1/4 of an
inch in diameter  I will be using to run down the roof to the ground rod.  This
is the same wire the local power company  uses to ground poles.  I have several
questions:

1.Will it be ok to let the copper wire lay on top of the asphalt shingles of the
roof or should it be held by some standoffs?  If I need standoffs, what length
should they be?

2.What is the minimum radius I can use to feed the wire over the roof overhang?

3.I live near a lake and canal (30 feet) here in Michigan.  The soil is
basically mostly sand.  For the station ground, I drove in some screw-together
ground rods for a total of 9 feet which should come close to the water table.
The rod(s)  is not held tightly by the sand and can be turned by hand so I guess
I am not into the clay yet.  I plan to connect the wire from the tower to a set
of 3 eight foot ground rods connected together in a triangle about 15 feet on a
side.  There will then be a 5 foot wire to the station ground  from one of the 8
foot rods.  This sound ok so far?

4.I suppose that I should run a wire around the sides and end of the house to
the service entrance ground on the other side of the house from the station
ground.  Right?

5.Anything I'm forgetting?

Thanks in advance.

Bill Haselmire  WX8S