[TowerTalk] BuzzSaw is ruining 80 meters

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] BuzzSaw is ruining 80 meters
From: Dinsterdog@aol.com (Dinsterdog@aol.com)
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 21:30:53 EST
My fellow hams-

Guess what- the demise of the 80 meter buzzsaw has been anything but a demise-

For weeks now, I have copied this signal from here in SE Wyoming beginning in
the morning at around 13:02Z, with bursts of 80 seconds every six minutes,
wiping out everything from 3.780MHz to 3.810MHz, centered around 3.795MHz.
While I thought this was a temporary thing- it has now gone on for several
weeks.

And now, the situation has gotten worse.  While I don't live to monitor this
signal, it seems to be going on for longer periods....it use to come a few
times at 13:02Z...then go away after about 14:30z....now, it is generated
throughout the entire day, ie: on November 4th, at the above intervals. The
reoccurring signal during this afternoon, was measured at  22:56 and 23:02Z,
being S-9 on the NW vertical, S-8 on the SW vertical, and almost not heard on
the SE or NE verticals, of my 4 sqr array.

Based upon these observations, and the time of day I was tracking this, there
is no way this signal is coming from anywhere except here in the United
States- and I would have to agree with others,  who have monitored this
signal along the west coast, that this is perhaps an over the horizon radar
signal coming out of the Utah/Nevada area.

This is no mistake of identity- recent tests of over the horizon radar in our
spectrum has been documented in Canada and I can assure you- this signal is
exactly like the Canadian signal- .....  it is wrecking our band.  The signal
source is getting bolder in transmitting the entire day- as if daylight will
make the signal less of a bother- but as the night time lengthens, it is
becoming a true annoyance and interfering with OUR spectrum-

I recently heard for a brief period at our sunset, just prior to the CQSSSSB
test- who knows when they are planning to go 24 hours a day-...............so
far, the early evening and after midnight hours have been spared-  but for
how long???

Call your congressman, call the FCC, call the ARRL...make as much noise as
this thing is- we have basically had our spectrum borrowed, if not stolen,
and they are taking space that is most desirable for DX'ing- ............it
is surreal- and it doesn't seem to be going anywhere soon-

Sincerely,

Paul Veal  N0AH
Carpenter, WY