[TowerTalk] Stainless Bolts and Nuts on Tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Stainless Bolts and Nuts on Tower
From: ka4inm@qsl.net (Ron Youvan)
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 13:29:15 +0000
Hi:
<< I can't imagine that you could squeeze a leg hard enough to create enough
friction to
take all the downward force, especially on the bottom section of a tall tower.
I have
to believe the bolts support a good deal of the downward force in shear.  I do
believe
that squeezing the tower leg prevents the need for a lock washer, however.  I
have
never heard of nuts falling off of tower leg bolts or a tower leg bolt actually
breaking and/or falling out.  >>

  I would guess with that much lateral force against the threads it would be
impossible
to remove the bolts in the lower sections for replacement.
  Is this the case?    (I've seen it done without problem or sledge hammer.)

  73 (= Best Regards) de: Ron ka4inm@qsl.net
VISIT my HAM WEB SITE at: http://www.qsl.net/ka4inm
  using LINUX here & loving it!