[TowerTalk] Stainless Bolts and Nuts on Tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Stainless Bolts and Nuts on Tower
From: w7ni@teleport.com (Stan or Patricia Griffiths)
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 22:33:08 -0800

K4SB wrote:

> Stan wrote:
>
> snip...or a tower leg bolt actually  breaking and/or falling out.
> >
> > Stan  w7ni@teleport.com
>
> Well, you are about to hear of one. The only tower I have ever
> lost. About 60' of Rohn 25. I put it up in the summer, and really
> put a hurt on the bolts.

By this do you mean that you tightened the heck out of them?  I just take
them up snug.  One guy wrote me an said there was never any need to
deform the tower leg by tightening the bolts, but I have to say that the
nature of steel is such that when you put it in compression, even a
little bit of compression, it compresses.  If that is what he meant by
deforming, then I guess we disagree and I think the bolts should be at
least snug.  If he meant permanently deformed, then I have to agree with
him.  That would probably be too tight.

 I want to learn something from your bolt-breaking experience.  Were the
bolts Rohn factory bolts or some substitute?  If they were different and
you think that was the cause of the failure, what type of bolts should we
avoid?  Were they just too tight, in your opinion?  Any other information
you can supply on this will be appreciated.

Stan  w7ni@teleport.com