[TowerTalk] US Tower Motor Winch in Winter

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] US Tower Motor Winch in Winter
From: mcduffie@scottsbluff.net (Gary McDuffie, Sr.)
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 1999 14:52:55 -0700
On Sat, 4 Dec 1999 10:46:45 -0800, Dick Flanagan wrote:

> It is very windy and dusty here.  I would worry the entire greased
> surface would be quickly coated with abrasive grit!  I need to think
> about that one.  Perhaps someone else on the reflector can shed some
> light on this aspect.

Same here.  I'm running mine dry, and that's what Hy-Gain (while they
were still Hy-Gain) recommended.  They said to touch up the wear areas
(used tower) where it rested while extended with the spray-on
galvanizing and let 'er rip.  My cables are already brown from the
blowing dirt.  Nebraska farm land gathers on everything when the wind
blows.

By the way, others have mentioned various brands of cold galvanizing
here, but most of them seem to be 95% zinc.  The SPRAYON brand, SØØ74Ø,
is 97%.  I bought it from a contractor supply house locally.  A welding
supply may also have it, as that's what the manufacturer lists it as.

Gary - AGØN
--
Please notify your ISP if you don't receive this.