[TowerTalk] Loose Rotor Bolts

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Loose Rotor Bolts
From: billwall@bellsouth.net (bill wall)
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2001 21:24:12 -0500
Here we are again;
After using many ways of securing bolts in airplanes, race cars, go karts
and boats, I have learned there is only one positive way. Drill the heads of
the bolts and secure with aircraft safety wire. If this is a problem, use
Loc-Tite for threads. Never use lock washers as they will break and cause
big problems. If you are smart, the installer will use a torque wrench. The
big problem is the rotator base is usually Aluminum and the bolts are
stainless or steel. The aluminum expansion rate is more than the steel or
stainless. Remember, tower maintenance includes checking all of the tower
every six (6) months. Be careful as the tower is where most of us get in
trouble. I suggest June and December.

Bill KC4UZ