[TowerTalk] Guy Anchor Failure

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guy Anchor Failure
From: Tower2sell@aol.com (Tower2sell@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 15:04:40 EST
In a message dated Tue, 2 Jan 2001  1:02:51 PM Eastern Standard Time, David
Jordan <wa3gin@erols.com> writes:

<< Barry,

I've had a few screw anchors in and out...it appears the screwing-in work
is done by the front of the screw and disc...the remaing rod pretty much
gets a free ride into the ground. I didn't see any scuff marks where the
galvanization was deeply scuffed, let alone removed.

Barry Kutner wrote:

> The friction against the earth as you screw it in will probably
> remove your coating. Which makes me wonder... Does screwing in
> the anchor, as it scrapes against rocks in the ground, remove the
> galvanizing, and lead to corrosion, and resultant breakdown?
> 73 Barry

It seams to me that the "act of screwing" so to speak, will disturb the soil
and introduce air or oxygen into the soil. For a clay soil the air may
increase the ability of the soil to cause rust. For a sand, it may not make
much difference. Also, you may notice that most rust occures near the
groundline where the rain introduces more water and oxygen. The concrete
foundation wound have similar problems since it is in distrurbed soil too.

Tower2sell@aol.com