[TowerTalk] Side Mount

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Side Mount
From: gjerning@flash.net (Arne Gjerning)
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 21:27:39 -0700
On my Rohn 45G is use 24 inches as dimension from center of side mount
arm (mounting point of the boom) to nearest element. This dimension is
both in Director and Reflector direction from the mounting point/center
of side arm.

I use a 2 arm swinging arm mast and turn a 5el 10M (modified 105BA 24ft
boom) and 4 el 15M (30ft boom). together. My arms are each32 inches long
(minimum). Allows mounting HyGain fashion OK.

OH, let me say I use a Tail Twister (T2X) and been up for about 10 years
with NO problems. I leave it parked where ever I end up.

I know many will need the galvanizing to prevent rust but here in New
Mexico I used Zinc rich galvanizing paint and it lasts quite a long
time. Even regular paint is acceptable for a few years. My first system
cost about $75.00 10 years ago and the shop furnished all angle and flat
plate iron material and did the welding to my drawings. I supplied the
mast/arm tubing. Am now building another set for myself and a friend.

I now have a friend who can do welding (you should see the custom
bumpers, front/rear, on my Cherokee I use for 4-Wheeling). So cost of 2
pair of arms and the 2 arm swinging gate is well below $100.00.

I am happy with this cheap version of rotation of additional yagis on
the tower. I get about 300 degrees rotation and my installation misses
150-210 deg of actual rotation coverage. I gain coverage due to width of
pattern of the yagis.

Designing was fun, mounting was exciting, and operation is smooth as
silk. Oh, my additional side mount is to allow 10/15M stacks.

OH, sorry Stan and Jay, but building is major part of fun of towers and
antennas.

73 de Arne N7KA
New Mexico
DXER and SERIOUS 4-Wheeler