FW: [TowerTalk] Rhombic vs. Yagi - WBR70

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: FW: [TowerTalk] Rhombic vs. Yagi - WBR70
From: eric@k3na.org (Eric Scace K3NA)
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 11:16:46 -0500
WBR70 brings back a lot of memories.

WBR70 was used to transmit meteorological data on teletype around the
Caribbean.  As a young boy who intended to major in
meteorology in college, I used to copy their TTY almost continuously on my
Model 14 and later, when WBR70 went to 100 wpm, on a
Kleinschmidt printer... and then plot and analyze the resulting weather maps.
On a good day I could plot a map as fast as the data
came in.

It was also a great source for the latest tropical storm and hurricane
bulletins, broadcast as soon as they were released by the
National Hurricane Center.  I think 14370 was one of their frequencies, which I
was copying off the back end of their antennas as I
was up in New York state at the time.

Eventually the USA returned Swan Island to its previous owners... and the
teletype data feeds went to satellite and cable networks
as they became cheaper and faster than maintaining an HF transmitter farm.  The
FAA shut down all its teletype met networks,
including the US domestic ones, at the end of the 1970s and the National
Weather Service put all the information on a network of
minicomputers.  I wound up working on the conversion project... and also worked
for several years with Bill Titus at the FAA, whose
responsibilities included WBR70 and its sister stations.  Bill had a deep love
for HF radio, even though he was not a ham, and
started out his professional career as an intercept operator at Blechtley
(spelling!) Park in the UK, copying German Enigma traffic.

-- Eric K3NA