[TowerTalk] C3SS Assembly

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] C3SS Assembly
From: abowen@nettally.com (ABowenN4OO)
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 09:13:05 -0500
At 05:49 PM 1/4/2001 -0500, RCARIELLO wrote:
>Jim, Why not use the Force 12 C3SS. 12 foot boom, 2 elements each band and
>it fits in a 4 foot box.
>Should take about an hour to put together and it works great.  Rich/AA2MF
======================
I just put together a C3S, which is not much different than a C3SS. Best to
allow 4-6 hours assembly time. There are a lot of pieces and a lot of
motions required to complete the job properly.

Even if you do the "quickie" assembly with single rivets and tape, it still
will take additional time to read the instructions, find the pieces, align
the pieces and so on. I would also have concern about the short term
reliability of such a procedure, depending on the climate and how long the
antenna will be exposed. You also have the additional complexity of
assembling the linear loaded element. Either procedure will take much
longer than one hour.

For proper assembly or even the short procedure, the tool kit will have to
have a pop rivet tool, a drill motor, a couple of 1/8" drill bits and an
awl for alignment of holes. The rivets have to be drilled out to correct
mistakes or change dimensions and to disassemble the antenna  for travel.
An adjustable wrench is required for the boom to mast assembly. Consider
also the load of 27 lbs plus balun, plus coax at the end of whatever mast
is to be used.

INK N4OO