[TowerTalk] Balloon recommendations needed!

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Balloon recommendations needed!
From: k6ll@juno.com (Dave Hachadorian)
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 13:33:41 -0700
I tried a 3' diameter latex balloon from a party supply store,
filled to about 30" diameter,using braided "Gibson Girl"
liferaft balloon wire, and the balloon didn't have quite enough
lift for a quarter wave 160.

I believe a five foot latex balloon would have worked. Check with
your local party supply store to see if they have one in stock,
or whether they can order one for you. I think the wireman or
Davis RF sells lightweight wire they say is good for balloons.
The party supply store should also use a little plastic clip to seal
the end of the balloon. These clips can be easily removed to allow
adding more helium. The party supply store here sells the balloons
"flat" (empty) or "round" (filled). The "round" price was very
reasonable, but it will attract a lot of attention when you go to
transport a filled five-footer. (Hey mac! Where's the Circus?!)

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ
K6LL@juno.com