[TowerTalk] Re: 80 meter 4 squares

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: 80 meter 4 squares
From: kh7m@hsa-kauai.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 17:46:49 -1000
> > > Four elevated radials on each vertical.  3.5 - 4Mhz coverage
> > > with SWR < 1.8:1.

And,  also experience a radiating efficiency,  both xmit and rcv
of about 4 to 5 dB more poor than a very simple 80 meter
doublet!!  I had exactly the above up out here:  a Gladiator
vertical with four elevated radials -- was a real bummer.
It is long gone,  and now use a 137 foot or so long doublet,
fed with open wire feed line,  line spaced about 4" with pvc
pipe insulators.  Works so much better!!

No more elevated verticals here.  If I ever put up another
vertical,  it will be ground mounted.  And have somewhere
between 60 and 80 radials,  then it will probably only be
1 or 2 dB poorer in performance than my doublet,  hi!!

73,  Jim,  KH7M