[TowerTalk] Tower concerns

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower concerns
From: Hank.Lonberg@Harrisgrp.com (Lonberg, Hank)
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 17:34:51 -0800
Dave:

My anaylsis basis comes from the 1997 UBC Building Code Wind Design
criteria. For a design wind of 110mph 9.7 sf of antenna at 60 feet has
a wind load of 408 pounds. The cantilever moment due to the antennas is
approximately 408 x (60-15) = 18,360 ft-lbs. Using an .8 reduction for
round members this is 14,688 ft-lbs which is still higher than Rohn's
allowable value of 11,400 ft-lbs with a 1/3 stress increase. Just based on
the antenna area your tower will be overstressed based on allowable load.

The tower itself has an area of approximately 0.47 sf/ft. The wind load on
the tower is a function of the wind pressure times the area. The code
applies some additional factors for gust and exposure plus it increases the
wind pressure as you elevate from the ground. For 55 feet plus of Rohn 45g
this accounts for 1,859 pounds of lateral load and 43,721 ft-lbs. of moment
at the bracket level. The total moment at the bracket is 18,360 plus 43,721
which equals 62,081 ft.-lbs. I reduced this value to .8(62,081)= 49,665
ft-lbs. which I rounded to 50,000 ft-lbs. The lateral force at the bracket
from the tower above it is 408 + 1859 = 2267 lbs. 0.8(2267)= 1814 lbs.
My original value is higher due to the fact I added in an rotator at 50 foot
level also.

I do not mean to critize your idea in any way. If you have to get a building
permit, many jurisdictions don't require one, and you need an set of
calculations by a licensed engineer then you just may have some problems
with this particular arrangement. If you don't then more the better, and you
can do what you want reqardless of any advice you receive pro or con.

It is your decision as to how you will proceed and at this point I can not
provide any more input regarding this matter. I have given you some free
engineering to allow you to make a reasoned decision on this matter. I do
not wish to be further involved as my professional license and means of
income could be at stake. In my professional opinion; if you wish to proceed
along your original idea you should seek professional engineering assistance
if required to get a permit. If no permit is necessary, then do what you
will and deal with the consequences.

73 and good luck

H.S.Lonberg Jr. P.E.  / KR7X