[TowerTalk] Tower Concerns

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower Concerns
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 23:33:38 EST
In a message dated 1/16/01 1:50:02 PM Pacific Standard Time,
jamvet@bellsouth.net writes:

> Do commercial buyers get the specs that they need?  I can't imagine they
>  just put up a tower and hope that it will survive 110 mph winds.  There are
>  a whole bunch of commercial towers here on the Florida east coast.

    As hams, we buy a tower based on what we think it'll support. Commercial
buyers do just the opposite - they tell the factory what they're going to put
on it and the factory tells them what they'll need. These are 'engineered
towers'. Towers like 25G, 45G and Trylon towers are NON-engineered towers.

    Engineered towers are ones that calcs have been run on and as the
customer, you're going to get a 'custom' tower; i.e. Rohn has several
different configurations for each SSV section depending on load and windspeed.

Cheers,    Steve   K7LXC
Tower Tech