[TowerTalk] Thrust bearing preference

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Thrust bearing preference
From: k0myw@worldnet.att.net (Mike O'Brien)
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 20:47:45 -0800
I am preparing to sprout some antennas from a recently erected U.S.
Tower HDX-555 crank-up.
        While I am VERY PLEASED with all other aspects of the tower and
associated U.S. Tower hardware, I have a slight reservation about the
TB-2US thrust bearing. I'm no expert in such matters, but that thrust
bearing just doesn't look "right" for rugged outdoor service, laying
flat atop the tower...
        So I'm wondering:
        Should I consider substituting a thrust bearing that more obviously is
purpose-built for tower-and-mast application, such as one from Rohn,
Yaesu or the new Glen Martin TB-25?
        Or should I just continue to follow LXC's Prime Directive and "do what
the manufacturer recommends" (in this case, use the tower
manufacturer's thrust bearing)?
        As I indicated earlier, I have nothing but good things to say about
U.S. Tower, so my doubt about their thrust bearing probably are
groundless. But maybe I'd feel better if other U.S. Tower customers
would share firsthand accounts of their successful longterm experience
with the TB-2US thrust bearing...

        73,
        Mike, KØMYW