[TowerTalk] Yaesu Rotator Question...

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Yaesu Rotator Question...
From: rthorne@tcac.net (Richard Thorne)
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 08:29:52 -0600
Hi:

I have a G1000SDX and like it a lot.  I've had it service since Dec. '96
turning a
F12 C4XL at 75'.  Does a nice job.  No problems accept that one of the control
wires
broke off from the connector at the rotor.  That was my fault though, I didn't
attach the rotor cable to the tower properly and the weight of the cable caused
the
break.

The other issue is that the light in the control head burnt out, but Yaesu sent
me
one free of charge to replace it.

If you can swing the extra $'s I'd go with the 1000 for that extra piece of
mind.

GL.

kd4rwn@bellsouth.net wrote:

> Hey All,
>                         Hopefully within the next two weeks or so, will be
> doing
> some tower work. One job will be getting a new rotator. The Ant.
> system will consist of a Force 12 Quadbander and a X-mas tree of
> 2M and 440 yagi's above it. Total Windload would be about 9-10 Sq
> ft. This will be mounted on 40Ft of Rohn 25, with a 10-15 foot mast.
>
>         Untill recently , an HDR 300 turned a similar load on this tower,
> But Mother Nature took its toll on it and must be taken down. Im
> taking a serious look at Yaesu Rotators, Specifically The G-800
> family. Plenty of margin on Windload and the K-factor calculations
> came out good with room to spare. Also the price seems right,
> About $200 less than going with a Hygain HAM-IV, as budget is
> limited for this project.
>
>         Im looking for some comments on this, before i go ahead and
> buy. Never dealt with yaesu rotators before. Also, the rotators are
> advertised with accessories such as the Tower absorb, Mast
> Clamp, T-bearing, Etc. Dont think i'll need any of these on this
> project (The Top section of Rohn is the "Pointy Top" avrierty. ) - But
> figured id ask the group.
>
> 73's and thanks for the help...
>
> Ulysses Rodriguez - KD4RWN
> President - University Of Central Florida ARC (K4UCF)
> Member: ARRL, FCG, WWYC # 77
> kd4rwn@arrl.net
>

> --

Richard Thorne
Amarillo, TX
Amateur Radio Station - N5ZC (Ex. KA2DSY, N2BHP, WB5M)
Remote Control Planes - AMA # 657062
Web Page: http://www.tcac.net/~rthorne/index.html