[TowerTalk] Small Antenna

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Small Antenna
From: thorh@worldnet.att.net" <thorh@worldnet.att.net (Thor Hallen)
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 18:07:38 -0800
Joao:

I used a MA5B for about 6 months and replaced it with a Force 12 C3SS. As
near as I can tell, the MA5B performed as well as the C3SS and is much
smaller. The MA5B has a trapped dipole element for 12 and 17 meters unlike
the C3SS that has no specific provision for these bands. Many on this group
will claim that the C3SS works fine on 12 and 17 but I have found that the
MA5B and even my G5RV will do better. My only reservation about the MA5B is
with the lack of support by Cushcraft. My MA5B came with a defective
matching unit and only after filing complaints with the Cushcraft CEO, QST
Magazine and HRO senior management did I get a replacement unit. My contact
at HRO told me that Cushcraft has little interest in the ham radio business
and is primarily a commercial antenna supplier. If you purchase a MA5B, I
suggest that you get it from a dealer that will allow you to exchange it if
necessary rather than depending on support from Cushcraft.

Thor Hallen K5AGE