[TowerTalk] Re: Quad vs. yagi

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Quad vs. yagi
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 17:01:42 -0500
> In my mind it's always been real simple.  A 2 element quad is better
> than a 2 element yagi.  If you have a 3 element yagi, you need a 3
> element quad to compare, and if you think about it, the reason makes
> sense.  You have more capture area, more radiating area, more "wire"
> in the air on a 2 element quad than you do a 2 element yagi.

Capture area has nothing to do with physical size.

That is folklore.

Capture area relates only to gain and frequency, not antenna size.

Gain is not related through any rule to physical size. That's just an
excuse used to make some antennas be magic, when facts prove
otherwise.

It's not how large you make it, it's how you make it large.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com