[TowerTalk] Debunking the gain claims

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Debunking the gain claims
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 09:28:44 -0500
Finally we get some actual data!!!

Kudos to the VE2 for helping debunk the Razor's gain claims:

1.) Virtually all S meters are around one dB or less at the low end
of the scale. My FT1000D is 1/2 dB per S unit from S-1 to S-2, and
my three IC-751A's average just over 1 dB per S unit below S-4.

2.) The Razor antenna, in a witnessed test, was only S 2-3 on
signals that were unreadable on a tribander with three active
elements in a witnessed  A-B test.

3.) Using 1dB per S unit, the Razor was perhaps 3 dB better than a
TH-6 at the same location and similar height, which would be a day-
and-night difference on marginal signals compared to a decent
tribander.

>From this we can conclude:

1.) The "10 dB over a KLM Bigstick" claim is not correct.

2.) The "about 20 dB over a Telrex 5 element" claim is not correct.

3.) Monobanders work noticeably better than tribanders.

The only alternative to that conclusion is the TH-6 has about 7 dB
gain over a KLM Bigstick, and about 17dB gain over a Telrex 5
element  monobander. I think we can dismiss this as being
unrealistic.

At least now we finally got some useful information that lets us
estimate gain.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com