[TowerTalk] Yuri's antennas

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Yuri's antennas
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 08:45:56 -0500
I think this is all getting a little silly.  I would suggest we agree on
the following and move on:

The "razors" -- and other quagis used by others, including W9RE -- worked
very well.

VE3BMV's CQWW achievements in the 1970s were noteworthy, though being in VE
gave him a useful advantage over W stations in the same category.

The state of the art has moved on, and it would take much more to be
competitive today at the highest level, whether single or all-band.

Anyone knowing the general layout of the "razors" and using antenna
optimizer software such as AO could readily replicate their performance today.

I realize the last statement will get some nostrils flaring.  To test the
premise, all Yuri has to do is properly model a "razor" in NEC-2 and give
us the resulting performance numbers -- gain, F/B and SWR/impedance across
the band.  That'll set the bar.

73, Pete N4ZR
Contesting is!

The World Contest Station Database