[TowerTalk] Tower sled systems?????????????

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower sled systems?????????????
From: ei8ic@eircom.net (Tim Makins, EI8IC)
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 09:19:34 -0000
Gene - thanks for saying this - you put into words what I would have liked
to say much better than I could have. I knew my posting would probably get
comments like Guy's, but still, there are people in the world who actually
NEED this kind of information, so its important that such IS made available,
even with warnings. Gene has been to Haiti and seen this need for himself -
it DOES exist. I have done some travelling too, about 70 countries so far,
most of them '3rd-world'. The guys there don't have the money, the tower
companies or the resource-centres that you have. They are often lacking so
much you (i.e. guys in the US) would be AMAZED - you'll just have to take my
word for this, but it really is true. For instance, I once went to the main
public library in Madras (one of the biggest cities in a country of 1
billion people) for a look-see; the quality and condition of the books there
were so bad that I straight away donated what I had in my back pack - they
were very pleased and tried to arrange a small ceremony which, being a shy
kind of guy, I refused. On the subject of safety, imagine this if you can -
I was once in Pakistan, and saw a blocked main sewer - the manhole cover in
the street had been taken off and the contents (you can imagine this bit !)
were flooding out on to the road. To clear the blockage, a guy stripped down
to his underwear, grabbed the end of a safety rope, and went in head-first -
he was under about 20 seconds. Now, imagine how this problem would be dealt
with in the 'first world' - safety suits, breathing equipment, electronic
blockage-location equipment, etc. etc. - this is the kind of differences
that exist in the world.
Anyway, I'm rambling on a bit. Back to the point. What Guy said is true - a
home-made tower constructed without the right information and tests is a
dangerous item. However, some guys still NEED to do this.... So, I'll offer
a challenge to anyone who wants to help their fellow human-beings in other
parts of the world to be safe and not kill themselves on poorly designed
towers.... Post an article on the Internet telling people how to design and
erect towers safely !  And I will be the first to link to it...

Tim, EI8IC