[TowerTalk] Tar

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tar
From: k3hx@juno.com (t colbert)
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 22:03:45 +0000
Tar can hide problems.

During my 25 year tenure with the Cleveland Police (radio) we had 2, 125'
towers

mounted to the roof of a circa 1928 building.  These were 4 legged with
about

10' between legs and they were bolted to the building.  The bolts were
covered

with tar.  I noted an orange stain coming from the mounting

area and discovered that by peeling away the cracked tar, about half of
one of the

4 bolts on the leg had rusted about half away over the years.  Further
inspection

showed ALL the bolts on both towers were compromised to some degree.

Repairs were effected at great expense,  the area was not re-tarred (or
feathered

for that matter) but painted.

73

Tim  K3HX