[TowerTalk] Loose tension gauge query.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Loose tension gauge query.
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 11:19:17 EST
In a message dated 3/13/01 5:55:34 AM Pacific Standard Time,
alsopb@gloryroad.net writes:

> I recently replaced the EHS guys on one tower with phylistrand.  The
>  bottom 6-8' are still 3/16 EHS.  I used the Loos tension gauge on
>  these EHS sections to tension the guys.  My perception is that the
>  guys are considerably tighter than before.  One reason for this
>  conclusion is that the force required on the turnbuckles to tension
>  the grips was considerably greater than before. (I ruled out corrosion
>  etc as the cause as much as possible)
>
>  I look at small sections of EHS and I see a big grip on both ends and
>  a relatively short section of 3/16 EHS.  My question is:
>
>  Is the LOOS gauged "faked out" by this configuration and reading too
>  low?

    No - that's the way you do it. Everything inline from the tower to the
anchor will have the same tension. I covered this in a past "Up The Tower"
column in CQ Contest magazine.

    Your "perception" about your guys being "considerably tighter" is false.
If the tension gauge has the same reading, then the tension is the same. Was
the replacement Phillystran segment EXACTLY the same length? That might
account for some of the difference. I suspect that what you see is due to the
fact that Phillystran has more elongation than EHS does. 400# tension on a
guywire is 400# tension no matter where you measure it. I also think that
your turnbuckles may be contributing to your "perception"; i.e. if it's been
several years since the original EHS guys were installed, of course the
turnbuckles may be harder to turn just due to increased friction.

    Bottom line? Measure the guy tension, adjust them to spec and forget it.

Cheers,    Steve   K7LXC
Tower Tech