[TowerTalk] botched biopsy

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] botched biopsy
From: franknorton@home.com (Frank Norton)
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 09:45:07 -0400
I guess everyone who reads this list must be male or we would have heard
something from the womens health groups by now.  My comment was written as
a former teacher of medicine, not a representative of the AMA, the American
Cancer Society or anyone else.  I have seen both sides of the healthcare
profession.  I was a provider and teacher at a major medical school, and I
have also been a patient with a chronic disease at many hallowed halls of
medical care.  I have severe progressive multiple sclerosis.

There is a grain of truth in each of our posts from our points of
view.  The best place to get advice is from as many quality research
sources as you can find.  If you may have prostate problems, do a web
search......GOOOOOGLE.(for instance).... and start reading.  The same with
any chronic disease.  It is your body, and your life.  Every healthcare
decision involves tradeoffs, which ones are you willing to make and which
ones are you willing to die for.....(erectile function is one in this
category for some men)?

By all means, just like when you look for employees, supplies, tools, or
anything else...........QUALITY MAY VARY.......unfortunately many cases of
prostate cancer, colon cancer, and on and on, did not need to get to the
University Center in poor condition........but there are a lot of bad
doctors out there.  There are many botched biopsies.  I wish there was a
way to let lay people know who the bad ones are but there just isn't  you
have to judge for yourselves.  If you doubt......then move to at least a
second opinion (and not from a friend of the doctor you just saw).  Second
opinions for any chronic or life impacting disease should be a matter of
course.  If your doctor is offended, then he or she is probably in the
questionable quality group.

I think we are approaching the danger point on medical info on the tower
talk reflector.  If you have a disease treat it like it should be, just
like the biggest, most important job of your life.  You wouldn't do a
quote, buy a truck, or pick a wife without a lot of research and the same
goes for serious illness.

One last point, anyone who uses the phrase...let's wait and see....when it
comes to cancer of any type..........run, don't walk.  Cancer loves to take
advantage of the wait to progress to the point that nothing can be
done.   NEVER GIVE UP CONTROL OF YOUR LIFE TO A DOCTOR!!  YOU ARE IN
CHARGE.  AT THE END OF ALL THE TALKING IT'S THE PATIENT THAT ACTUALLY HAS
THEIR LIFE IMPACTED.  GET YOUR SAY!

Also, don't forget prayer, family life, and guidance from others who care
about you, they often have insights they don't want to share unless asked,
I would ask.

God bless and keep you safe.  RF is a vitamin isn't it?

73,

Frank, KB8XU

List Sponsor:  ChampionRadio.com - Trylon self-supporting towers,
http://www.championradio.com