[TowerTalk] thoughts about property layout

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] thoughts about property layout
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 10:42:03 -0400
> I guess my question is: Is there any way to take full advantage of my
> large lot with more wire antennas without crossing the electrical wire?

The best idea is to bury the drop, and get it out of your way.

If the wire is a triplex 240 volt line, there are no code restrictions (at
least not in this area) other than not having things in direct contact
with the wire. Telephone, CATV, and other conductors have no
spacing restrictions from low-voltage secondary triplex-style lines.
(That's a line where the two "hot" conductors are twisted around a
bare messenger and grounding/neutral stand.)

The maximum possible voltage on that line to other objects is 120
volts, and the bare ground conductor makes it nearly impossible to
contact one of the two 120 volt conductors without also contacting
ground. The insulation is extremely tough (you can't even cut it with
a normal knife), but I would still avoid dragging anything metallic
across the wire. It is a far cry from older lines that used to crack
and shed insulation, just be sure it is in good shape.

If it is a primary line (which I seriously doubt) the transformer will be
at the house end of the line. In that case, get it moved! There is no
reason to run primary voltage into the "yard area" of a single-family
house unless the drop is several hundred feet long. Primary lines
are the lines that kill people. Insulated or not.

> The electrical wire is insulated... Am I being too cautions about this??

You can never be too cautious.

240v triplex lines are very safe. That's why they use them. Just be
sure that is what you have, and ask your local utility how far they
require your antennas to be spaced away from it. Ask them in
person, they'll send a guy out to talk about what you are planning.
He'll tell you if it is safe or not. In many cases it is safe.

73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us
96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A
HREF="http://www.ChampionRadio.com";>
www.ChampionRadio.com</A>

-----