[TowerTalk] Antenna surface area

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Antenna surface area
From: wa2moe@doitnow.com (Stu Greene)
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2001 19:50:29 -0700
At 02:13 AM 6/10/01 +0100, you wrote:
>The formula Gene proposed is not exactly correct, nor does he precisely
>state what to do with the taper.
Following your reasoning, would A = 1/2 [L X (pi X D)]  be close
enough?  That does not account for taper, but it is half the circumference
of the element times its length.

You added

>  but the wind cannot be simultaneously hitting the elements at 90 Deg and
> the boom at 90 Deg, so it should take that into account by specifying the
> *larger* of both calculations, but not the sum of both

Bill, irrespective of the wind direction which can change momentarily,
surface area is surface area, so that an accurate measurement should be the
sum of half the boom area plus half the element area.

I wonder if antenna manufacturers, when calculating wind area and
advertising it, do it your way or mine or perhaps something a bit more
arcane.  I'm sure that someone will straighten out the error in my logic.

                                73   Stu

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us
96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A
HREF="http://www.ChampionRadio.com";>
www.ChampionRadio.com</A>

-----