[TowerTalk] Antenna surface area

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Antenna surface area
From: SPELUNK.SUENO@prodigy.net (EUGENE SMAR)
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2001 23:07:22 -0400
Stu:

     The area to which I refer is the area of the cylindrical shape of a
tubular element/boom as seen in shadow behind the element/boom.  This is the
area used in all wind force studies I've read over the past couple of weeks,
including those by Dick Weber, K5IU.  The area to which you refer is the
surface area of the entire element, the area of material, as it were, needed
to fabricate the element.  This area is NOT used in the computation of wind
force.

     The tapering of elements would be accounted for by measuring the length
and diameter of each taper segment as above and adding them together.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F