[TowerTalk] Guys and things

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guys and things
From: bjk@ihug.co.nz (Barry Kirkwood)
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 21:02:16 +1200
Guess it all a matter of scale.
If talking towers 100ft with stack etc on top then obviously very careful
design is required. But I get the impression from Tower Talk that the
smaller stuff is wildly overdesigned.
FWIW my 45 ft pipe mast with rotator and Force 12 3-CS on top with 12g ht
fence wire guys at top and 20 ft with small fence insulators breaking them
and ratchet tensioners had no problem with Cyclone Drena measured at 137kph
in central Auckland City and much stronger on my cliff top qth.
I have commented about how the antenna coped well beyond its design limit,
but the new owner reports that some of the rivets now sad, so the wind left
its mark.
73

end
Barry Kirkwood PhD ZL1DD