[TowerTalk] Guys and things

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guys and things
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 22:07:31 -0400
> story.) My mind boggles when I hear $5 US ea for what I presume to be
> compression (egg) insulators to break guys in relatively modest service.

Actually the service is too stressfull for plastic compression
insulators. They would cold-flow, cut through, or simply break. I
have problems with my Beverage antennas (only 14 gauge wire)
and fence insulators.

$5 each is a bit much for insulators in any quantity, although it is
reasonable for small lots. 502 insulators are easily found new for
under $3, but that generally requires purchasing a hundred
insulators.

> tensioners does a great job for guys and costs peanuts. If Phillystran is
> Kevlar, then hunt around commercial fishing boat suppliers.

Like our oil prices (and electricity when deregulated), suppliers
charge what the market will pay. Cost is never related to
manufacturing plus distribution cost, our system is based on what
the market will stand. If you are the only supplier, you can set the
price high.

I simply won't pay the price of phillystran because I can do a steel
and insulator system for substantially less investment. I purchase
enough material that I obtain grips, guy line, and insulators directly
from manufacturers.
73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us
96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A
HREF="http://www.ChampionRadio.com";>
www.ChampionRadio.com</A>

-----