[TowerTalk] Circular Polarization

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Circular Polarization
From: ford@cmgate.com (Ford Peterson)
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 22:16:14 -0500
I am quite familiar with the vertical and horizontal polarization.  The
transmitting and receiving antennas need to be alike for best transmission.
I am hoping somebody can shed some light on circular polarization.

In several articles on circular polarization, the discussion often aludes to
the need for correct alignment but I haven't found information on "how" to
align the polarizations.

If the transmitter uses left hand circular (LHC) does the receiver use Left
or Right Hand Circular?  The application involves satellite work.  Is there
a standard used on the various birds?  One article suggested needing to
reverse the polarization on transmit.  What's up with that?

If any gurus out there in towertalk-land can provide me with some simple
guidelines on how to orient a base station antenna, I'd appreciate it.

Ford-N0FP
ford@cmgate.com

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us
96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A
HREF="http://www.ChampionRadio.com";>
www.ChampionRadio.com</A>

-----