[TowerTalk] Ginpole for 20 foot sections

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ginpole for 20 foot sections
From: nielsen@oz.net (Bob Nielsen)
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 13:31:13 -0700
On Wed, Jun 13, 2001 at 09:10:48AM -0700, Ward Silver wrote:
> > > If both ends of the rope are moving, there is
> > > NO mechanical advantage, only a direction change
> > > plus loss due to friction.
> > >
> > > de  Tom  N4KG
>
> Correct you are!  The minute Lightweight Larry begins his fateful upwards
> journey, the whole equation changes.  Any downwards tension beyond his
> weight disappears in that situation.
>
> "And then, while I was laying there looking up at the bottom of the
> barrel, I let go of the rope..."

Thanks for remembering that classic, Ward.  I have a copy of it around
somewhere, but won't show it to my XYL until AFTER I get a tower and
antenna installed!

If we start including friction, then we also have to add the mass of
the block and tackle, pulley inertia, etc.  I'll have to dig out my
graduate-level physics texts--NOT!

Bob, N7XY

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us
96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A
HREF="http://www.ChampionRadio.com";>
www.ChampionRadio.com</A>

-----