[TowerTalk] Telephone Poles??

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Telephone Poles??
From: thompson@mindspring.com (David L. Thompson)
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 22:05:30 -0400
Good questions Kevin.   I used a telephone pole for many years.

1.    How to procure a pole or poles.   Freebees are available from most
power
companies and REA's.  Theses are poles with a few years on them and can be
anywhere from 30 to 70 feet.   Usually you transport and plant but some (I
got a power company to deliver).   You can also buy poles (as Bill KC4UZ
pointed out several months ago).   He even said 120 poles are available.
More common are the 40 to 80 foot variety.  Prices vary across the
country...call the local power company purchasing dept and they usually will
give you the seller.   Make sure they are treated before installing
(planting).

2.    Planting and pole spikes.   You need to find one of the independent
pole planters and pay the freight to have the hole dug and the pole planted
correctly.    On our first attempt we used an A-frame rig that broke apart
about half way up.   Use professional help!   Pole spikes are not too
expensive and are placed about every 18" alternating up the pole.   One guy
even put a ladder on the side.  Using climbing spikes is no longer
recommended.

3.    Mounting a beam on a pole.  This does not apply for a loop but the
ARRL Handbook form the late 50's has the accepted method
for installing a rotor and beam or quad at the top of a tower.   The method
uses an L with a top coupling that can turn for easy install of the antenna
and mast.    This also protects the rotor from side motion.    The alternate
method used by many was to add a tract up the tower or
install the beam on top of a long pipe held next to the pole.  The tract
acts just like the Hazer and allows the antenna and rotor to be worked on a
ground level.

4.   Other points to consider.   Its best to add a set of guys (they act as
sway bars) about 5 feet below the antenna.   Kevlar is best to assure no
interactions.   Use the 120 degree method as with a tower.    Be sure to
check the pole for rot at ground level or just below every two years.
Especially if you are using older poles.   The pole I had up for 12 years
was about half rotted out (I was away at college for 4 years)
when the family moved.   If you live in the Southeast make that inspection
every year.

A telephone pole can make a great tower investment for a fraction of the
cost of even Rohn 45.

73 Dave K4JRB

> I have been looking for poles for a horizontal loop project I've been
> planning this summer.  One question I have is how you climb a pole once
its
> planted?  I'm no Paul Bunion - I'm allergic to spiked boots.  Can you
> install climbing spikes in the poles?  If so, any idea where you could get
> them, or how you could make some?

> Kevin Hemsley
> kev@ida.net
> KB7TYA

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us
96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A
HREF="http://www.ChampionRadio.com";>
www.ChampionRadio.com</A>

-----