[TowerTalk] finding resonant frequency of a shunt-fed tower for 160

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] finding resonant frequency of a shunt-fed tower for 160
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 12:44:42 -0600
N4KG comments inserted below.

On Mon, 30 Jul 2001 "WA9ALS - John" <wa9als@starband.net> writes:

> I'm interested in this too, so will jump in now.  My main question
> now is:
>
> I have a C31XR at 72 ft - The elements are -not- grounded.  Thus I
> assume much less (or none?) capacitance hat effect.

        There will be LESS capacitance than if the elements were
        grounded.  There is still the loading effect of the BOOM
        which I assume is electrically connected to the tower.
        And don't forget the capacitive coupling between the tower
        and the COAX which is connected to the driven elements.
        Tom  N4KG

 I therefore assume I
> can still work out a shunt feed for -some- frequency(s), but they will
likely
> be higher freq than if I had grounded elements and therefore more
> capacitance at the top?

        TRUE

> What do you think would be reasonable to shoot for with a 70 ft
> tower with the ungrounded elements of the C31?  40M?  Maybe 80M?
> Doubt 160M??

        Your best solution for 40M is a rotary dipole or 2L40.
        You could also short the center of the end elements
        to the boom and match the boom as a 40M end loaded
        dipole.  I have posted my method on this several times.
        It's a KILLER.   N4KG

        You could make separate shunt feeds for both 80 and 160.
        An antenna does NOT need to be resonant to radiate.
        I have matched a 50 ft tower topped by a TH3 on both
        160 and 80M.

        de  Tom  N4KG

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.