[TowerTalk] 69kV to 115kV

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 69kV to 115kV
From: ve6yc@home.com (Peter Larsen)
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 01:40:30 +0100
> 1) Do I care?
I don't think that you should be too concerned, There is a 69
line there all ready, so it sounds like a rebuild. Shouldn't
effect your property value, because the 69 line is there all
ready.

> 2) Are 52" insulators adequate?
I think that this is the wrong forum to ask this question,
also there are electrical standards that must be followed.
The power company wouldn't use 69 K insulators for a 115 K line.
These will be SEMA approved insulators. (Or what ever the
Electrical
Protection Act in your country/state uses as a reference)
With luck they will use the new epoxy arms. They work great
and the rubber skirts don't break down as fast as the old
glass ones did.

> 3) Are there issues that I should address to the
> "representative?"
The only real issue will be future maintenance of the power
line. The reason you are getting "buzz" off of the 69 K so much
is probably loose hardware. Although for some reason 69 buzzes
more than 115. I don't know why.

> 4) How can I learn more about this to find out if it is
> properly engineered?
I don't think that you need to worry about the "engineering" of
the
power line. There is a great deal of experience in putting up
the lines. If you get a cableman's and lineman's hand book
you will see the formulas for suspending and tensioning
wires.
It is very simple. You look at your wire, say 477 Hawk. You
then get your lbs/ft of wire. Plug this into the formula
and you get how far to put the poles apart.
Do your tension with temperature compensation for your
span vs weight and you know your "sag" of the line.
No problem.

gud luck es DX.

--
 Peter J. Larsen