[TowerTalk] 40/80 dipole

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 40/80 dipole
From: ValErwin@aol.com (ValErwin@aol.com)
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 21:27:25 EDT
Eric:

Here are some good articles on construction of Coax Traps:

QST. May, 1981, p 15,  "Coaxial Cable Antenna Traps", Robert Johns, W3JIP

QST, Nov., 1983, p 27, "Dual-Frequency Antenna Traps", Robert Johns, W3JIP

QST, Dec., 1984, p 37, "Optimizing Coaxial Cable Traps", Robert Sommer, N4UU

QST. Aug., 1994, p 27, "Two New Multiband Trap Dipoles", Al Buxton, W8NX

Although all the above articles are good, you will probably find the 3rd one
by Sommer to be the most useful as it allows one to optimize the traps around
available diameters of  PVC pipe on which you wind the coax traps. Be sure
and check em' with a GDO using your RX as a freq.-check!

I have built many coax traps over the years and there has always been a lot
of controversy over just how much power they will handle. For weight reasons,
I have always went with RG-58 and have not had a single trap breakdown with
QRO service. Just be sure and seal them real good -- use lotsa' "pucky"  --
Use Schedule 40 PVC for strength --

Final comment:  Why not a Zepp antenna/450 ohm ladder line and a tuner?
Ladder line is lower loss and the antenna will operate on all bands +++++ no
traps to build!

GL

Val
W5PUT