[TowerTalk] Coax recommendation

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Coax recommendation
From: n3rr@erols.com (Bill Hider)
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 13:12:28 -0400
Jamie,

First of all, you are not being overly cautious!!  What you
are wrestling with are the normal engineering tradeoffs in
a complicated project.

Next, visit my Website and look at the design approach I outline here:
www.erols.com/n3rr

I suggest a cable loss of less than or equal to 1 dB from your XMTR to the
antenna.  You have a chance to tradeoff cost
for dB by using the W3LPL attenuation tables I have provided on my Website
under the "Cabling" link.

If you are concerned about breaking a center conductor due to raising and
lowering the tower, don't use
a solid center conductor cable.  Use RG-213 instead.  That's what I use on
my crank up, though I rarely
raise or lower it.

As far as the base of the tower is concerned, you need to consider:
lightning protection
coax cable transition from one type to another
connector weather proofing
rotor cable lightning protection and cable transition from one type to
another
ease of cable additions (for more antennas) and cable deletions/replacements
(for repairs).

All coax cables should be grounded at the antenna and at the bottom of the
tower.
To not do this means that the lightning voltage would ride the coax to your
SPG on the house.
My rule is: move the lightning to ground at your first opportunity.

Again, look at my Website for ideas.  Use the ones you like and leave the
rest.

Question:  why have 120 VAC at the base of the tower?  This usually requires
an additional permit
(electrical) from the municipality and may introduce hum into your RX
cables.  We recently had a discussion here
on how to minimize this issue, so you may be aware of it.

Lots of things to consider.

Bill, N3RR