[TowerTalk] Wooden Pole Info; Source

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Wooden Pole Info; Source
From: meamonte@hotmail.com (Pat Barthelow)
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 14:11:15 -0700
Hello Folks,

I often wondered why wooden poles are not more frequently considered for ham
antenna supports.  We have them in abundance, left over from the military at
N6IJ.
    A navy manual for analysis, treatment, and inspection of power poles
shows them to be far stronger than I would have ever guessed.  Many
(unguyed) 65 footers can take in excess of 1900 lbs (Lemme... double check
the book on that) horizontal load at the top of a pole set in the ground
with a 1.5 safety factor, assuming the particular earth that the pole is set
in, can take the forces involved.  (This is a load to actual failure
(breaking) of the pole)

I guessed logically, it must be a price issue, but recently found a
definitive website of what seems to be the big daddy of pole makers.  They
have lots of useful info, and an interactive session to develop a quote for
a pole, delivered to your specification.

Their site: http://www.ldm.com

I, just for jollies, asked for a very heavy duty (read...thick, H1 Class,
67" circumference, 6'from base) pressure preservative treated, 120' pole,
delivered to Monterey, to see what we were looking at, price wise.
McFarland quoted about $7K delivered.  (Delivered, means on the flatbed, or
on the ground, horizontal at the radio site)  The McFarland site says that
stick, would weigh abt 9,800 lbs.  I guess, it  might be another $500 to
$1000 to set vertical, and put on pole steps..  Approx $3500 of that was
transporation from Oregon.  (Wow..think of the logistics of transporting a
120 footer.)   My guess would be that, while not cheap, how does that
compare with design and construction of a very heavy duty 120 foot guyed
tower?

Another thing to consider...People who are finicky about appearances, have
often been conditioned for years... to see and accept wood poles as O.K.;
much more so than galvanized steel, latticework towers...might be easier to
win them over with wood....

73, DX, de Pat AA6EG/N6IJ  meamonte@hotmail.com
On the web: http://www.polkinghorn.org/n6ij, or
http://communities.msn.com/n6ij
599 DX Drive Marina CA 93933

"For a successful technology, reality must
take precedence over public relations,
for nature cannot be fooled."
--Richard Feynman, In his Appendix to Space Shuttle Investigation