[TowerTalk] halfwave verticals

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] halfwave verticals
From: RCARIELLO@si.rr.com (RCARIELLO)
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 17:13:38 -0000
David, Sorry I can not find a computer program you are requesting. From my
note taken from ON4UN's books, Low Band DXing, I have some values that might
be a good starting point to work from.

Quote.
High-impedance Matching System
Unbalanced high-impedance feed point, a half-wave vertical fed against
ground, voltage point, can best be fed using a parallel-tuned circuit on
which the 50-ohm cable is tapped for the lowest SWR value.

ON4UN gives two sets of values. High-C or High-L. I have used the High-L to
feed my 160 meter 1/2 wave wire vertical supported with a balloon. I believe
you should be able to derive for the bands not give by following the
relation of the known values.

High-L
160M---160PF---49uH
80M---80PF---24uH
40M---40PF---13uH

As with anything it always looks good on paper. I have had to at times
insert a capacitor in series with high side of the tuner to reach a match.

Best of luck with your project. I will say I have found the 1/2 wave
vertical to be a great performer. You might want to consider one or two 1/4
wave radials as part of the RF ground system.

Rich AA2MF