[TowerTalk] Good PVC for insulated antenna mounts

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Good PVC for insulated antenna mounts
From: Dinsterdog@aol.com (Dinsterdog@aol.com)
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 10:53:24 EDT
I use the gray "rigid" PVC found in any hardware store's plumbing section for
mounting my ground mounted verticals on-  I sit the verticals with 2 1/8
diameter aluminum on the 1 1/2 inch gray PVC stuff that fits in it very snug-
(The PVC is marked 1 1/2 inch but is about the same diameter as 2 inch
aluminum tubing and fits perfectly around the inside of the 2 1/8 inch
aluminum)

I use 3 foot sections for mounting antennas on.......I put about two feet of
it in the ground into concrete poured in about a 1 foot square 2 feet deep
with about a foot of the gray PVC sticking above the ground to sit the
vertical on.   I poured the concrete around the gray PVC then turned it as
the concrete cured so I could take the gray PVC out in case I ever needed to
replace it--The system has worked very well as it is very strong stuff- I
have experienced this stuff supporting 50 foot verticals in no wind  without
guys (not that I would suggest this, always guy!!!! This discovery was by
accident) and bend almost all the way to the ground before this stuff snaps-
I was warned not to use white PVC as it is much weaker then the gray rigid
matter-

I've used two different brands marked as follows:

19MN  1 1/2 inch SCH40 Rigid PVC Conduit Max 90C Wire NEMA TC-2 Sunlight
Resistant E126014 UND.LAB.INC

1 1/2 (41) CANTEX Rigid PVC Conduit SCH. 40 Max 90*C Wire NEMA TC-2 Sunlight
Reistant

The stuff is rated as Rigid nonmetallic conduit above ground and under
ground.

I'll might be hanging my Inv L for 160 off of it next-

73  Paul  N0AH

List Sponsored by AN Wireless:  AN Wireless handles Rohn tower systems,

-----