[TowerTalk] more on horizontal loops

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] more on horizontal loops
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 10:04:52 -0600
On Tue, 4 Sep 2001 "Barry Kirkwood" <bjk@ihug.co.nz> writes:

> right!
> modelling such loops at 40ft or so shows that they are very good
> indeed on 20-15-10.

The KEY here is the antenna HEIGHT of 40 ft. which is my
'favorite' height for a Low antenna for 10 through 20 meters.

This places the vertical lobe from ANY horizontally polarized
antenna in the range that covers all of the higher angles
supported by the ionosphere down to about 10 degrees (even
less on 10M).

The original post about horizontal loops suggested heights
of only 20 to 30 ft.  ANY horizontally polarized antenna
at 20 ft will SUCK.  30 ft is kind of a bare minimum for HF.
40 ft is better.  TWO antennas at 40 and 60 to 70 ft provide
better coverage of high and low angles and are achievable
on modest city lots.

IMHO, DXpeditions (and anyone else) would be better served
by DIPOLES at 40 ft than Beams at 20 ft.  Anybody want to
model this for confirmation?

Tom  N4KG